Risk Assessment for the 5x5x5, a cross country 5k race series which
consists of 5 races between April and September.
This event is not suitable for wheelchair users.
Risks due to users:
Risks due to other factors:
- Walkers - the course uses entirely public 'trails' such as the White Horse Trail, so walkers may be encountered.
- Motor Vehicles - there is no passage for any motor vehicle, even farm vehicles would find it difficult to pass.
- Farm Tractors - same as Motor Vehicles
- Cyclists - extremely unlikely
- Horses and other animals (livestock). Farmers and land owners have been notified of this event.
Before the start of each race there will be a briefing describing the potential hazards.
Someone will check the course before the event.
- Roads - see motor vehicles above.
- Woods - the event does not pass through any woods
- Multi Terrain nature of the course - Trip hazards
- Overhangs such as brambles and low branches
- Rabbit holes - none noticed
- Badger holes - none noticed
There is a description of the route on the home page of the event plus photographs taken at very frequent intervals,
and even a film taken in 2012.
Scale of risks
|Hazard||Comment||Probability of occurring||Consequence||Risk|
|Before each race the risks likely to be encountered will be announced to the runners.|
|Walkers||Hopefully they will applaud the runners||Very unlikely that any will be encountered
||None||No impact||No risk|
|Cyclists||Very unlikely||Low||Low impact||Negligible|
|Wooden bridges||Could be slippery if wet||depends on the weather
||May need medical attention||Acceptable|
|Tripping, rabbit holes and badger setts
||This is a multi terrain event which passes around fields and over meadows
||It is believed to be a low probability||Possibly a twisted ankle||Acceptable|
|Overhanging foliage||Brambles, low branches||Unlikely||Low impact||Negligible|
|Livestock||Horses, sheep and cattle.
Should cause no problem